Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, August 03, 2003

Ah, Sunday

What I'm listening to: New Age music channel; just finished 'My Dark Haired Maid from Conraig' (Searles, tradtional Scottish) and going into 'Echoes of Time' (Nakai, a more Native American sound), and now Margie Adam's 'Something About Us'
What I'm eating:Biryani (curried vegetables and lentils on basmati rice) and Aloo Paratha (stuffed bread fried in olive oil), with some dried cranberries for dessert. Yum!
What I'm doing:Blogging, of course, and working on some financial and exercise planning
What I've done today:Wished my mom a happy birthday, gave Cerys a bath, skimmed the current Discover and National Geographic magazines that I borrowed from work, played in the Cthulhu game, worked on some character sheets, and did some reading.
How I'm feeling:Pretty decent. Not nearly as manic as I have the last couple of days. I forgot to take my Paxil and went, not loopy, because I was really productive, but to where I really had a hard time sleeping, talked a mile a minute, felt like spinning my way down the halls at work, that sort of thing. Now I'm a little tired, but it's a good, look-what-I-accomplished sort of tired. Still, sorry if I rambled a lot the last few posts.
Plans for tomorrow:Work. Go to the gym. Get some cleaning done, especially the bathroom and vacuum/shampoo the carpet.

Because it was 'game day', I caught up with my friend Brenda. Since she has dogs, horses, a 6-year-old, and a teenager, I usually call her whenever I feel like my life's particularly 'out there'. But even so, she's had a rougher couple of weeks than normal. She's had to put one dog to sleep and found another dead (she raises/rescues Shelties), hit a bottle lamb with her truck and fortunately didn't hurt it but lost one of her best ewes for no discernable reason (not the usual coyote/wild dog attack), had her brakes go out on her Tundra causing her to wreck (fortunately no one was hurt, but apparently a very large truck can hit a Caddillac and the Caddy wins), which will hike her insurance rates up just as her newly-16-year-old son will be added soon, etc., etc. Poor Brenda. She needs a break. On the brighter side, her main pastime, beyond the game, is writing Tolkien fan-fiction, and she has had a lot of good feedback, including one person who claimed to put Harry Potter V aside unread just to finish her story and a college professor send her honest-to-goodness academic analyses. I'm not a huge Tolkien fan (I love the concept but have issues with his writing), but apparently she has managed to pull off an original non-Tolkien character that people like. With that fan base, I wonder if she could channel the success into some original work, or at least phantasy that where they occasionally publish and pay for fan fiction. She definitely needs to find a genre she can make money at...I suggested that since she's written almost 300,000 words for these people (who clamour for more) maybe she could set up a PayPal donation to at least keep her truck going. :) Here's hoping she's doing better soon. Anyway, if you like Tolkien, you may want to check out her writing. The Henneth Annun site is nice because you don't wind up with all the pop ups that you have on some of the fanfic sites. Enjoy.

No comments: