Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, August 21, 2003

My not-quite-Friday Five (I made these up myself)



In honour of the approaching end of summer (or eventual beginning, if you're Down Under), here goes:

1) What is your favourite sound of summer? The cacophony of cicadas on a hazy summer morning. The myriad sounds echo from all around, making me drowsy and homesick for my childhood in Louisiana.

2) Sight? The elusive, glorious, periwinkle stubborness of a chicory flower that springs up despite mowing but cannot survive being cut for an indoor bouquet, with fluttering butterflies tumbling around.

3) Smell? The smell of rich garden loam after a good soaking rain mixed with the scent of early wild jessamine (clematis).

4) Taste? The juicy, messy, acidic bite of a fully-ripe, vine-grown-in-the-backyard tomato.

5) Touch? The supportive embrace of the sun-warmed water against me as I float lazily along.

No comments: