Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, June 27, 2016

Well, I didn't get the Kroger job

but I refuse to wallow in self-pity. It was a little disappointing, as Friday they I did a phone interview and they were, let us check with the in-store manager to set up an interview, and the next thing I know, I'm getting a form e-mail about how a candidate who was a better fit was chosen. Oh, well, it was apparently not meant to be, and it doesn't mean I can't keep applying for other positions either at that store or others. Of course, getting a job in the library field is the desired result, so after I took a friend to physical therapy and the grocery, and then helped him with a couple of things on the computer, I came home and finished an application as a part-time librarian in a nearby county. It's a reference librarian position, requiring the master's, and I think my experience and skills would be very useful to them. Today was the last day to apply (I saw it late). There's also an assistant position at another library, in a different, nearby county (Kentucky has 120 counties; there isn't a lot of distance between county seats). It closes July 2nd, so I'll apply for that one, too, by Friday, as it does say 'library degree preferred', although it only requires a high school diploma. I've interviewed at each of the libraries before; both are rather nice. The reference librarian pays more, and has full librarian duties, but either would mean some extra money coming in and, more importantly, it would help me get a food in the door into public libraries, something that may be priceless once my job at the hospital goes away. So here's hoping, anyway.

No comments: