Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Timely

This has been in my DVD queue for awhile,  but is now on its way from Netflix:

Pride

It's about an unlikely,  but true,  alliance between  striking Welsh miners and a gay group during Thatcher's tenure as Prime Minister of Britain.

So far my favorite gay-themed movies are 1) Torch Song Trilogy and 2) Priscilla,  Queen of the Desert. We'll see how this one stacks up.

I have Pandora's Make America Gay Again station playing. It's an interesting mix.

Funny,  I've always experienced Pride month and gay rights issues from a strange position,  because when I first got involved I was supportive of my boyfriend and his boyfriend (long story,  let's just say that when I was very young I was in a tri-unity 
domestic relationship that I left for good reasons) .  And of course, my best friend is gay,  and I consider him and his husband a part of my family.

But even though I,  myself,  am bisexual,  I've never really felt part of the gay community itself.  The closest was when I sang in a chorus of mostly lesbians,  but they were not really open as a lesbian chorus.  Part of that is that I haven't been in an actual long-term relationship with either gender since I divorced almost 25 years ago, just a short-lived one with a woman that was purely physical.  Maybe I need to explore things a bit before I get into another relationship,  and figure out what I really want,  and whether I prefer one gender over the other.

Okay,  I have some bread rising.  It should be ready by 2 am. I think I'll listen to the music on a timer and go to sleep for a bit, and set a couple of alarms. The bread machine,  incidentally,  will turn itself off if I don't get up in time.

No comments: