Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Magnifico!

That is one of the best loaves of bread I have ever made--large, light, fluffy, with a thin, crispy crust, great with a buttery spread and full of flavour without having to add anything else. It has: dill seeds, caraway seeds, parsley flakes, marjoram, thyme, oregano, basil, and I think, rosemary (the latter few lumped together in an Italian herb mix). The herbs are not overpowering, just add flavour to an excellent bread. Yay! I'm glad, as that was the last of my white flour and all but one tablespoon of my butter (it takes two tablespoons to make a large loaf, usually). I just guestimated in terms of putting in the herbs; 1/4 tsp. for each of the seeds, 1 tbsp. for the Italian herbs together, 1 tbsp. for the parsley, and another 1/4 tsp. for basil. It worked really well. I didn't put sage in, as I thought that might be too strong. Anyway, it came out nearly perfect. The only herb loaf I ever made that was a better texture/taste was the one that I substituted garden herb cream cheese for part of the butter because I'd run out. That was very creamy, and denser, but very good. But I like this immensely.

PS: The house now smells absolutely wonderful.  Okay,  good night,  for real,  this time (I think).

No comments: