Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Slow going today

One of the perks living alone and not being Christian is that you can basically sleep in Christmas morning, or at least stay in bed as long as you like. I did field texts, messages on Facebook, and a phone call from exuberant friends wishing me well, and I appreciate them. But then I turned over and went back to sleep, finally getting up after noon. I'd been talking to a friend until two in the morning on Christmas Eve. YKWIA, who is Jewish and who cooked the food for me the other day, explained to me that the food I was trying to describe here was cholent (no 'z' on the end), kugel (ah, kugel!), and kischke, a dish he'd made vegetarian that usually is stuffed in sausages and contains schmalz, or rendered duck fat. He dispensed with the schmalz and casings, and it was still very good. There is another dish I forgot to mention, a coleslaw with no special name that is also very nummy. So once I did get out of bed this morning I broke my fast with some kugel. I'll have some of all of the types of food later today.

Christmas morning in my friends' house, with their four- and five-year-old, was a huge success, and I got some pictures sent to me showing the delight on their faces.

The only things on my agenda are to call my mom later today and watch 'Doctor Who: the Snowmen' tonight. I'm just hanging around the house in shorts today, although I just realised I'd better water my plants, or my lavender is going to go the way of the rosemary. I should go do that. Other than that, I think I'll do some reading. The TV is usually a bit useless on Christmas. Netflix has apparently been having some issues, both yesterday and today, so I don't know if that's a viable alternative, although it couldn't hurt to try. I did watch The Princess Bride DVD I got for the holidays last night and enjoyed every minute of it.

That's it for now. If you celebrate Christmas, I hope you have a very merry one.

No comments: