Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

It looks deceptively nice outside

It's sunny, but it's only in the 30s, although it's supposed to be warmer tomorrow, thankfully, as I am going out to a doctor's appointment. I finally did have to turn on the heat, which isn't bad, given it's December 12th. Apparently my apartments are pretty well insulated. I do have it on 68 degrees, as I don't want to get too hot. :)

Today is the two-month anniversary of the accident and me being homebound. I'm hoping tomorrow to get news of when that will end and I can return to work.

I've started coughing a little, and my asthma is kicking up. I think it's from those now dry towels from where the bathroom flooded. I need to get them into a plastic bag and then do them in some laundry as soon as I am able. I don't really feel right about asking the people who have been doing my laundry to do those--they're nasty.

Today has been pretty decent. I've been on the phone with several people. Last night I discovered that the maximum talk time on my phone is about four hours, as it kicked off at 21% battery level after about that amount of time. Thank goodness I had charged my phone during the day as well as at night. It really has been a lifeline. I do have a home phone, but I've kept my cell phone with me virtually every moment in case I fall or have an emergency, so more people now have my cell phone number than ever before.

I didn't sleep well last night so I took a nap around midday and that really helped. I'm not feeling like eating much today. I bought a bathroom scale the other day when we were at the grocery and managed to weigh myself with some difficulty. It's designed so that you tap the lower right corner and then stand (with both feet) on the scale, otherwise it gives you an error. So I had to tap it with my left foot, hoist myself onto the scale using the walker, balance on my one foot and barely rest the other foot on the scale, while making sure my weight wasn't being carried by the walker and that I was just touching that to steady myself. The last time I was weighed at the doctor was a week after the accident and I'd lost six pounds. This was a little higher than that, but I have a boot on my foot that weighs several pounds; I'm not sure how much. I'm not sure I want to try to weigh without the boot on, as I don't want to hurt myself. And this scale won't let you weigh the boot itself. But I figure I've lost somewhere in the neighbourhood of 10-12 lbs. I probably lost more originally, but I've gained some back. I seem to have lost most of it in my stomach, which is good. My blood sugar has been much better than normal for several weeks; I'm interested in seeing what my hA1c will be for January.

Okay, I think I'm going to get away from the computer for awhile and take a break. Have a good day.

No comments: