Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Sometimes biology trumps good intentions

I started cramping 2 1/2 hours ago and was so uncomfortable I went ahead and laid down. I didn't really sleep. It's one of those slowly unfolding periods, the type that hurt for awhile before you actually start bleeding. Not that you really need to know that.

So I didn't get on the bike (I learned a long time ago that while exercise may be good for some people, it makes my cramps worse if I do so on the first day). I didn't tote laundry around (but I will have to do it tomorrow morning; I'm simply out of clean clothes). I didn't even do the dishes (again, I'll try tomorrow since I'll be up early for laundry). I guess my list is a bust. But, as the saying goes, tomorrow is another day.

I've just eaten something to settle my stomach (I get nauseous sometimes). I'm going to get some water, take my insulin, and try to sleep, or at least read a little before sleep. Wish I had a heating pad or hot water bottle; I think I may need it later tonight. I'm still in the uncomfortable-but-pain-is-only-2-on-a-scale-of-1-to-10 phase. Experience tells me that will probably change. So I may be up and down tonight. If so, I'll try to write about the news or something. But for now, I'm going to try to go to bed. Good night.

PS At least I managed to do two things before bed, while waiting for my water to get cold (I have one of those insulated mugs you put in the freezer and the liquid between the layers freezes, then you pour water into the mug, and it gets cold). I gathered up the laundry and got it ready for tomorrow, and I found a book on disaster planning that I have out of the Greater Midwest Region lending library, which I'd put in a pile with some notebooks and other books near my bed when I cleared off the sofa.

I have been looking for some new furniture, with the hopes of getting some by the end of the year, but haven't found anything I like so far. Everything's so...bland. I mean, I know you can cover it with slipcovers, but they rarely fit well, and I can't afford to recover them just because I am opposed to white, sage, tan, and brown. Occasionally you find black. I'm considering doing a futon rather than a loveseat. We'll see. But definitely a reclining chair of some sort.

No comments: