Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, August 09, 2011

I'm up briefly to take my insulin and blog

I just couldn't keep my eyes open when I got home. That's been the case the last few days. See, on Saturday I spent fourteen hours taking books off shelves, dusting them, reordering them, and reshelving them in a different configuration. This was not work-related. I take care of a private collection that is larger than either mine or my workplace's collections. When it came down to it, neither the owner nor I had any real idea how many books we were dealing with, and how long it would take, even with his help. I started about noon and ended about 2 in the morning, took a cab home, and then got three hours' sleep, just to go out again to take the bus to prepare for the game. I never got the game notes done. I cleaned house, and then when Brenda arrived we went on the giant Kroger run that we do every two weeks. Then we played the game for about five hours.

Brenda and I are convinced that we are missing something vital in putting the clues together in the adventure. Perhaps it will occur to me when I do two sets of notes this week. When I got home, I thought there would be a chance I'd get the post-game phone call, so I sat in the comfy chair and was just gone within five minutes.

This morning I discovered a miscalculation on my part that meant that if I did not put $2 in the bank (well, really $1.40), several things were going to go thud in my bank account, so I had to make an emergency stop at the bank and catch the next bus, making me a little late to work, but saving my finances.

Today I went back to the site of Saturday's endeavour because in my tired state I'd somehow missed a few books and put the Ws on a shelf containing Ms. I worked those back in. But I also got some wonderful soup and salad, traded some winter squash that a co-worker gave me for an onion to go with my tomatoes and patty-pan squash for a nice sautéed dish, and was given reimbursement of cab fare for the other night, which was very appreciated. Do you think it would be amiss to put this type of thing on my résumé, given that I have worked very hard on it, even though I get paid in food and love and affection of various pets?

Anyway, the weekend was very hard on my body and on my sleep cycle. I have PT in the morning, which is good. I had told the physical therapist that I planned to shift a lot of books Saturday, but that I'd be sure not to lift too many at once. I also only have money for another two visits, so originally she had suggested going once later in the week and then going the next week, spacing them out to see how I do. But after telling her about my plans, she suggested keeping tomorrow's appointment and seeing how I was doing Monday. Since I am still sore and my neck has been bothering me, I'm going tomorrow. We're going to transition to a home exercise programme. I am going to miss my neck traction. Alas, I only have $100 left in the flexible spending account, and that will cover the two visits plus my primary care physician appointment on Thursday, where we'll discuss my diabetes. My blood sugar has been in the range it was before going on insulin, since I was taken off my oral meds, so it will no doubt be adjusted.

Okay, speaking of that, I'm going to take my Lantus and go back to bed. Good night.

No comments: