Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, June 24, 2011

PS

I'm curious as to what they'll tell me on Tuesday when I have my follow-up appointment. They gave me a CD of my images to take with me, and being the curious medical librarian (and sometimes hypochondriac), I went ahead and looked at a couple. The kyphosis that could be seen in the x-ray is shown here as well, of course (my neck basically goes straight/slightly opposite of the correct curve, something that another family member has). It looks like a couple of discs are hanging out too far from between the vertebrae (although mostly to the anterior direction, if I'm oriented correctly), but the spinal cord itself looks fine and there doesn't seem to be an incursion into it that I can see. Mind you, I'm totally untrained in reading MRIs, so don't take my word for it. There might be small protrusions. There's also a spinous process (those pointy things in the back) that looks really short. I asked one of the nurses (who's now administrative, so she hasn't actually practised nursing in awhile), and her opinion was that I have Weird Spine Syndrome. :) We compared a few images of a normal cervical spine with mine. Neither of us could tell you exactly what was wrong, but we could tell it was a-b-normal. And I couldn't make heads or tails of the slices that show the cross-section of the vertebrae at all.

Oh, well, I'll wait and see what the experts say.

Speaking of which, it's about time to take some more of the ibuprofen now.

No comments: