Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, November 20, 2009

Sorry I didn't post yesterday

I got home after 1 am and went straight to bed. I'd felt yucky for most of the afternoon, because I'd forgotten to take my diabetes medicine, ate a baked potato and cottage cheese for lunch, and my blood sugar shot up to 407, making me extremely tired, thirsty, and my vision a little blurred, which was ironic as yesterday was also my second trip to the ophthalmologist for a field of vision test. According to Dr Kielar, although my ocular pressure is elevated, there's no indication of damage to my vision and it's not severe enough to warrant medication. He told me I do not have glaucoma, but a cousin, ocular hypertension. We'll check the pressure again in 6 months. I'll probably have to do that a couple of times a year just to be on the safe side. My mother apparently also has high ocular pressure, and shortly before his death my grandfather was diagnosed with glaucoma. Both my grandmother and mother have macular degeneration as well, so I made sure I told the doctor that. He said the vitamins they prescribe for the disease works well for those who have it, but they are useless as a preventative if you don't already have it, and they are quite expensive. So I'll just stick with my Flintstones vitamins for now.

When I was in the waiting room they had a TV going (they've removed the reading material due to the flu pandemic). It was on the Hallmark channel, and the first episode of 'Little House on the Prairie: A New Beginning' was on. Two things struck me: one, I actually relaxed as I watched it, as it took me back to my childhood, where I read all of the books and watched both series and all the made-for-TV movies that followed. 'Little House on the Prairie' was probably my favourite series of my childhood after M*A*S*H. Third was 'Battlestar Galactica', by the way. But the other thing was that the show was pure treacle, and a friend is right, not only is it sickeningly sweet, there's always some tragedy and melodrama involved. The locusts eat the wheat, people get horrible diseases, etc. He was horrified when I told him that in 'Little House in the Big Woods' the girls play with a blown-up pig's bladder. And the men are always hugging and everyone emotes. Still, I have to admit, I had a great deal of nostalgia watching it.

Today was pretty nice, although long. I'm only working two days a week at the hospital next week though. The plan for Thanksgiving is to be picked up by my stepfather early in the morning on Thursday, since my mother will be cooking and she has to work at 2:30 pm (sometimes it sucks being a nurse). Then I'll stay overnight at my grandmother's, something I haven't done in years because I had the animals to take care of, but since they've all gone to the Great Beyond, I'm free to spend some time with her, which is good, as she is 85 years old, severely diabetic, and apparently bleeding from her kidneys, so she's not doing so well. I haven't been to Danville since--well, I'm not sure--February, maybe? May? Anyway, it's been several months. I'll probably be working Friday night, so they'll take me back Friday morning.

Well, I guess that's about it for now. I think I'll check the news and see if there's anything blogworthy. If not, have a good night.

No comments: