Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, November 16, 2009

Controversial new guidelines

New advice: Wait until 50 for mammograms--Government panel says benefits of early screening don’t outweigh risks

I actually had my one and only mammogramme at 38, when a doctor ordered it due to breast pain, so there's a baseline. (I was told that I had perfect breasts, something you don't hear every day. Apparently they come out so clear that if I had a tiny tumour they'd be able to see it immediately, whereas women whose breasts are dense and fibrous have issues in having theirs read.) I've meant to have another since I turned forty, but put it off, and now I'm 42 and they're saying not to bother, and they also say breast self-exam is pretty much worthless in terms of evidence. To be honest, I'm not quite sure what to believe. It does actually bring the US in line with international guidelines. I think this is where evidence based medicine can help. I think I'll do some of my own research and go from there.

No comments: