Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, November 27, 2009

Well, I'm home

from Danville and from work tonight. It's cold and frosty outside, so I'm going to look for my coat before bed.

It was a good visit. We stopped in Danville to pick up my grandmother and my stepfather John's mother, and then we went to Stanford to my mom's house and had Thanksgiving dinner. The only things I couldn't eat were the stuffing, the turkey, and the ham (oh, and there were Southern-style beans, but my mom made me some with just butter, and she also cooked some fresh-caught fish for me). There were ten people altogether--my mom and John, their mothers, me, John's son Robert, John's granddaughter, her father, and his girlfriend and her son. The girl's mother died earlier this year or last, I can't remember which.

Oops, sorry, I must change the TV from the Meditation channel. A didgeridoo is playing, and they grate on my nerves, no matter how much I try to like them. I appreciate Aboriginal art and culture, but I can't abide that instrument; it sounds completely alien. I'm more of a bagpipes kind of girl.

Okay, I'm back. We had the meal early so my mom could enjoy the visit before she had to go to work in the early afternoon. We all visited for awhile after she left and then John brought us back to Danville. I talked with my grandmother quite awhile. My grandmother fried up a huge potato that fed both of us. (My cousin had brought her a 50-lb bag of them, plus a 25-lb bag of pinto beans, and she lives alone. She gave me some of the beans.) Later I started to fall asleep on the couch, so I went on to bed around 8 pm. That was when I realised I had made a horrible mistake--I had checked the CPAP humidifier before I left to make sure it wasn't on and heating the water (I didn't want to burn the house down) but it never occurred to me that I would need to take the machine with me to sleep at her house. It shows how much I go anywhere overnight. So I propped myself on the generous pillows and tried to make do, but I woke up ever couple of hours or so, and I slept fitfully at best. I tossed and turned, and stayed in bed until the sky started to get light, because I was too tired to read but couldn't sleep.

Once I got up, I checked my blood sugar. It was only 128! I'd remembered to take my Janumet the evening before (my mom, John, his mother, my grandmother, and I all have diabetes, so we talked at length about that, and it reminded me to take the pill). It really helped. I made a point to do so tonight even with work. My grandmother and I had some oatmeal and a little later John and Momma came by to get me. Once we got back to Lexington, I laid down and slept with the CPAP for about three hours, although I really had meant to finally do my laundry. That will have to wait until tomorrow, when I don't need to be to work until 2 pm and I have no notes to work on since we didn't play last week.

I guess that's all for now. I'm eating some vegetarian chili with cheese and tortilla chips. I was going to have a cheese sandwich, but the Havarti slices were mouldy despite being unopened and having a date for April of next year, so I guess I got a bad batch. Icky. Hope your holiday went well (assuming you celebrated it, anyway; I know some of you are from outside the States).

No comments: