Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I did a well-meaning oops today

I've been wanting to join the American Library Association again for awhile now, and at my level of income, it's only $46 a year. Today I got paid and decided to go for it, even though it wasn't a pressing matter. I filled out my form, brought out my debit card, and whoopee, I'm now a member again for the first time since 1998. (My workplace pays my Medical Library Association and Kentucky Medical Library Association dues, as they are directly related to my work there, and in the latter case ensures reciprocating interlibrary loans.) But I'm on my own for the ALA and the Kentucky Library Association, which is the next one I want to rejoin.

Only one trouble--afterwards, as I looked at the calendar, I realised that my next paydays are the 18th and 19th. Before that happens, my phone bills (Vonage and cell phone) will apply to my account as pending (the cell phone won't go through until at least the 19th, but it 'gobbles' up the money from available funds as early as the 16th, even though the due date is the 23rd.) Now there is a way to get around this. I have enough time to end the EasyPay automatic debit programme with T-Mobile and just pay by the 23rd of each month (the real due date), which I was thinking of doing anyway, since it caused some problems for me when I first discovered they could access the money that early back in August. But it's a little more expensive ($4.99/month). On the other hand, they can't grab money a full six days before it's actually due, and if I don't, my oops will leave me with about $12 to spend this coming week and among other things, I need a $30 bus pass by Friday. You see the problem, yes?

So, rather than risking a bounce, I'm going to go over to T-Mobile and see if I can change from EasyPay to normal. Wish me luck. I really must look at the calendar though before making unusual expenses. :) I should have waited until after the 19th to join ALA, because I'd have two paydays in a week and would have extra money to spend.

PS Funny how it's easier to come up with solutions when you write things out. So anyway, I went to the website and couldn't get EasyPay discontinued, but then called customer service and spoke to a computer and managed to delete EasyPay from my account. It updated immediately on the website, which now expects me to make a payment manually by the 23rd. Yay! Now we'll just see if it plays out as it should, or if they try to take the money out anyway. Am I a little distrusting of Big Business? Maybe a little.... :)

No comments: