Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, November 13, 2009

[Shakes head and tuts, and not in a conservative-keep-everything-from-kids-prudish-sort-of-way]

Remember the case in Jessamine County where the two library paraprofessionals basically broke library rules and abrogated a patron's rights because they believed that a graphic novel was too graphic? Here's some more:

Library employees fired over censorship of graphic novel

I could write about this further, but I happen to agree with one commenter, writing as 'dkm', whose opinion is quoted below:
According to the original article: "Both women say they remain baffled as to the reasoning behind their dismissal.

... According to the Employee Manual, grounds for dismissal can include insubordination, theft or misuse of the Jessamine library's property, breach of confidentiality information and any other violation of library policy."

Considering that the two women were guilty of insubordination, misuse of the library's property, breach of confidentiality and being dopes, they can't be too bright if they don't understand why they were fired. Since they obviously are not too bright, they certainly have no business working in a library and I wonder if they got their jobs under false pretenses.

My favourite quote from the article is that one of the women who said, '"People prayed over me while I was reading it because I did not want those images in my head," she says.'

Here's a thought. DON'T READ WHAT BOTHERS YOU. But keep your small-minded opinions to yourself and do the job required of you--or quit if you find it conflicting with your beliefs.

This was the same library that offered me a job then yanked it out from under me over something that had nothing to do with my ability to do the job. Granted, I'm a tiny bit bitter, but apparently they had no trouble hiring people like this, much to their present dismay. Oh, well.

No comments: