Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I got it! I got it!

Listening to: Big Country's 'Look Away'



This morning I had a package waiting for me from Amazon.com. Yes, that package, the one I ordered using my $100 gift certificate that I received from my bank card rewards programme. It contained two things:

The Seer, one of my favourite albums from my 20s, and I still love it. It's by Big Country, which most Americans only know from their 80s hit, 'In a Big Country' (one of their worst songs, in my opinion, but isn't that the way it tends to go?) They were known for their use of guitars and e-bows to produce sounds similar to the Highland pipes and other traditional Scottish instruments. Many of their songs are based on Scottish nationalist themes, especially this album. The band is still well-known in Scotland. Unfortunately, several years ago the lead singer, Stuart Adamson, died as a result of an ongoing problem with alcohol. (He was found hanged, but it was done in such a way that if he'd been sober he could not have died.) The band has continued to release material, however. I left behind my old vinyl LP at an apartment when I was evicted; my tape version is getting battered from years of play. I was very happy to see it in compact disc. The CD contains some bonus tracks from a Germany release; I don't care for them, but I love all the original ones. I listened to it at work, through notes, and am listening to it right now (I'm up to 'Eiledon').

Even better, I got my data voice recorder, the Olympus WS-311M. Features include:

  • 512MB internal Flash Memory
  • 138 hours of recording time in LP mode
  • Six recording modes: Use STXQ, STHQ and STSP for stereo recording or HQ, LP and SP for extended recording
  • Variable Control Voice Actuator (VCVA) records only when sound is sensed
  • The Low Cut Filter minimizes air conditioner noise and other similar noises
  • Five file folders, each holding up to 200 files
  • Up to 16 index marks can be set in a file
  • USB Storage Device can store many file types, not just audio files
  • Lock files to avoid accidentally erasing important information
  • "USB Direct" design provides direct connect to a PC via USB 2.0 port
  • WMA and MP3 Music Player
  • Voice Filter enhances the human voice by cutting low and high frequency noises during playback
  • Slow and fast playback speed variations
  • Repeat and Random playback
  • WOW XTTM technology provides rich bass and three-dimensional stereo sound
  • Customise the sound with a built-in equaliser


Today I have:

  1. Transferred a digitised PDF of Kidnapped! by Robert Louis Stevenson [one of the songs on the Big Country album is based on it and historical events depicted in it] onto the device using the built in USB flash drive (the battery case pulls away to expose it; no cable is required, although one is included in case your USB port is in a tight space...but mine is (I don't have a hub, just two on the back) and it worked fine without it).
  2. Made several test recordings so I could learn to use the file system, play back, delete, etc.
  3. Transferred the following from CDs I own: The Seer (Big Country), ...Something to Be (Rob Thomas), and Once More, With Feeling (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the Musical)
  4. Listened to the music as I did notes. It's got nice sound quality.


Next on the agenda--recording the game on Sunday to help with the notes (the main reason for getting the gadget in the first place). Then I also get to try out a program I downloaded not long ago that helps transcribe the audio. :)

Anyway, it's been a day of music and gadgets. Yay.

No comments: