Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, September 27, 2002

Sad news...



One of my first professors at UK has died of ovarian cancer. Pem Kremer first introduced to me to Greek philosophy and ancient literature as part of the honours program. I'm sorry to hear of her death. We shared many interests, but I remember best that she shocked a know-it-all 17-year-old by giving me a C on my first paper and expecting me to work harder. It was my first hint that college wasn't like high school, and I was expected to live up to my potential. Fortunately it worked, and the next semester I made Dean's List (unfortunately the only time; once I actually started dating and juggling a social life, I learned that Bs and a wider experience could be better than sitting home every night studying and getting As. Mmmm....

No comments: