Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, July 06, 2013

I've been looking over my earlier post on loans

and I forgot a couple of very important things: flexibility and personality. I'm a fairly passive person, so a lot of the 'going nowhere' came from that, and the rest from the fact that I am simply unwilling to leave friends who I've been with for decades in the name of a job. But, if you haven't made ties that binding yet, do something wild, and by that I don't mean go out and get drunk and post inappropriate pictures on Facebook. I mean move to the big city if you've always wanted, join the Peace Corps--live! live! live! as Auntie Mame would put it. Do it while you're young before marriage and kids and long-term relationships. Be flexible in the type of job you take--even a volunteering position can lead to something greater. Don't be afraid to seize the day. And whether your'e in school or out seeking a job (and even if you have a job, you're often actually job-seeking), don't be afraid to make the moves that will help you get ahead, with the caveat of 'don't be evil', to steal Google's motto. I'm not saying be Veronica from 'Better Off Ted', working your way up the corporate ladder without taking prisoners, but find your niche, make it if necessary, and do what you can to enjoy your job and be true to yourself.

So says someone with now 46 years of experience, who learned it the hard way, and by mostly ignoring such good advice. Good night.

No comments: