Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

I got home around 8:45 tonight, and was asleep by 9 pm

with the idea of taking a 45-minute nap that went till 11-something, when I was awoken by a thunderstorm. So I unplugged my phone, rolled over, and then woke up at 12:40. I've been downloading an Internet protection suite I bought for the computers and checking up on Facebook. I need to remember to take my Lantus before I head back to bed; my blood sugar's been kind of high since Sunday, when I apparently ate too much fruit and didn't have enough pen needles with me to take a second shot of Novolog during the snacking at the game. While our snacks are healthy compared to past years as we've aged (cheese, multi-grain crackers, veggies, and fruit, rather than chocolate), I have to balance the fruit, which can make my blood sugar go up, and the veggies, which can give me some terrible gastrointestinal issues for a day or two. Usually I manage that balance; this week I didn't.

I've been pretty busy at work. After work today I went by Jin Jin and got food for myself (tofu and eggplant in garlic sauce) and two friends and we ate and two of us watched videos. Then I took the other one to the store to get what he needed for his mom's birthday. I helped with a couple of chores and then came on home, going straight to bed. It was a little late to get into the pool, and frankly I was still pretty tired. I hate the groggy, tired feeling that my blood sugar makes me have. I go to the endocrinologist next week, so maybe she can do something to help. In the meantime, I'm trying to watch my diet more closely and taking my insulin as directed. I know that sounds simple, but sometimes eating can be complicated with diabetes. It's not sweets that are the issue, it's anything with carbs. And it's hard to remember to take your medicine as prescribed if you're feeling like your brain's turning to syrup because your glucose is up. That's how I feel sometimes when it's very high. I just want to feel normal again. I want the energy to do what I want, whether it's housework, working out, or having fun. And I want to not feel groggy, to feel like mentally I'm spot on. It affects my work, my personal life, everything I do.

Okay, enough ranting about my diabetes for the night. I'll go take my Lantus and head back to bed. Good night.

No comments: