Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Ah, home--and a holiday tomorrow

So, I made it home, despite witnessing a near-accident that could have been very bad. A huge, rusting old motor home failed to yield as it turned onto New Circle Road from Richmond Road, and the cars coming from the other side had the green light. A yellow car nearly got forced into the hill that anchors the overpass, and they were side-by-side for several seconds, before the yellow car managed to get ahead of the mobile home. There were at least seven cars behind them, too, so it could have led to a very bad pileup. Fortunately I was on Richmond Road, stopped in traffic, and was in no danger, but it was still a little scary.

There's no telling yet whether Fourth of July will be great or fizzle. The weather forecast isn't looking good. I'll call security at work tomorrow afternoon to see if a decision has been made about the fireworks. If they're rained out, they'll be postponed to Sunday night, when I may or may not be able to go. But even if the festival and fireworks fizzle due to rain, there are plenty of things I can do inside as well. Besides the festival and fireworks, here are a few things I'd like to do over the next few days:
  1. Go to the YMCA. Once would be at least a good start. More than once would be ideal.
  2. See Despicable Me 2. I do love the Minions, and now they have a girl Minion and anti-Minions.
  3. Watch 'Downton Abbey' episodes, at least through season one.
  4. Watch 'Grimm' on Amazon Prime through the Roku box. I have season two recorded on the DVR, but haven't seen many from season one, either.
  5. Maybe get into the complex pool, if the weather cooperates.
Plus, there are things to do around the house, including hand-washable laundry, dishes, the dining table needs to be excavated, and a few little things to upkeep the place and make sure I'm not getting messy.

My plan, at this moment, is to have a quiet night at home. In honour of the anniversary of his birth, I got a Kindle version of a Franz Kafka collection, which includes all of his stories, including 'The Metamorphosis', but not including the novels, such as The Trial. I might read some of that tonight. There are many I haven't read before.

Okay, let me put up my plate and flatware. I had some corn on the cob from the farmer's market, and it was very nummy.

No comments: