Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, July 19, 2013

Up at strange hours of the night

I came home about 9ish today and just pretty much went straight to bed. I'd taken a friend to a doctor's appointment, dealt with much nerve-wracking traffic, gotten dinner and then had to take it back because Taco Bell gave the vegetarians beefy tacos (and I ate one before I quite realised it, and I thought I was going to be sick), and watched several episodes of 'H2O: Just Add Water'. We've been watching on Netflix, having to compensate because the second season episodes are out of order, but tomorrow I should get the complete series from Amazon on DVD. I must admit it tends to relax me. The episodes are short, just 24 minutes, and the subject matter is generally somewhat lightweight teen drama, without the angst of American shows. Maybe Australian teens aren't quite as angsty, I don't know. :)

Speaking of Australians, I am starting Gary Corby's The Ionian Sanction, the second of his ancient Greek mystery series. I just got the third, Sacred Games, recently. I really liked his debut novel, The Pericles Commission. I'll let you know what I think about the second once I'm finished.

Things are rather quiet at the moment. It has been a busy week at work, but not too bad otherwise. The little betta is still doing well. I need to do some stuff around the house tomorrow evening and also go to the Y (today just wasn't going to work). Saturday is farmer's market, grocery, and an appointment for a friend. Somewhere between now and Sunday I need to do game notes, and I think it's the last game before one of the players goes to Pennsic (the great 'war' between the Midrealm and the Kingdom of the East in the Society for Creative Anachronism). It's been years since I went, but it was enjoyable. I think it's much bigger than it used to be; several thousand people camp out at a Pennsylvania campground, dress up in mediaeval gear, and those with fighter personae whack at each other with rattan swords. Fortunately we wrapped up the adventure last time, so 1) we can hopefully have just a bit of down time and 2) the notes should go by quickly because I don't put in blow-by-blow action, so it goes quicker during action scenes than, say, investigation ones.

Okay, I've had something to drink, plugged in my phone, taken some long-acting insulin, and fed the fish. It's time to head back to bed. Good night.

No comments: