Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, September 06, 2014

Well, today has been mostly devoted to

getting the car fixed, with getting very little else done. I spent a couple of hours at the garage, then came home and decided since I'd gotten up so early and because they were supposed to finish by noon that I'd rest a bit, and then at 12:30 they said the car was ready and they'd come get me in a little while. So I waited. An hour passed. I called and offered to walk over, but they said, no we'll come get you in just a bit, just relax. Well, I'm one of those people who doesn't wait well. I want to either be doing something or knowing I won't be doing something--I would hate to be in the middle of something when they did call, so I just waited. After another hour, I put my good walking shoes on and started walking. I got there about 3 pm. The guy was, oh, we were just about to come get you. I pointed out to him that I didn't mind coming over if they were swamped, I just wanted to get some things done this afternoon. Basically they were going to wait to go get me by the end of their shift (they close at 4 pm). Anyway, I'm now poorer to the tune of $530, but that's actually with a break he gave me, for a complete new set of back brakes and an oil change. The car is handling much better. I'll have to see if the battery can be changed soon, though.

The University of Kentucky is about to start their second football game of the season, and A is watching it on TV, so we aren't going to the store until later. I'm going to go over there in about an hour and a half. At this point, I should at least start working on the house. But the annoyance that got me through the walk down and across two major highways has kind of dissipated and now I just want to cool down. I'm not tired--I'm just hot, as it was 86 degrees out there with 55% humidity. So I'm going to chill out for about 20 minutes and then get up and work. That's the plan, anyway. On the other hand, I'm at 3,015 steps on a Saturday, which is usually what I get all day on the lightest walking day of my week. :)

No comments: