Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, August 25, 2014

Three hours after I came home last night

Two women were robbed while walking about two blocks from here. I have generally felt safe in my neighbourhood, but crime can happen anywhere, of course. I don't know if the thing last night was in any way related to that or not. Probably not. But it's highly unusual to have the police out here.

I came home this afternoon and rested (yes, that means napped), and I've spoken to YKWIA a couple of times on the phone. The last hour or so I've been trying to find an important piece of paper to make a payment on something that cannot be paid online, I don't otherwise have the information to pay it like address, account number, and amount, and I'm highly annoyed because I'm sure I put it in a 'safe place', so safe I can't find it. The payments are made quarterly, so it's not with much frequency. Tomorrow I'll have to call the company and get them to send me the information. I can go online and initiate a loan, but I can't find any information about the very small loan I'm trying to pay on. Grrr....

This morning I went to my endocrinologist, which I dreaded because I don't feel like I've really kept my diabetes under the control they needed to be. But my weight and hA1c are both down, so it was a good report. They took some blood and an urine specimen, and I went on into work. It was nice to be able to give them a report of my glucose readings from the new meter without having to type in the readings manually. Today I had two goals:
  1. Drink only one diet soda. I drink far too many in a day, up to two two-litres sometimes on the weekend, but even on an average day, about 4-6 20 oz. bottles. I managed to reach that goal, and while I was a bit sleepy in the afternoon from lack of caffeine, I did okay. I drank one sparkling flavored water and the balance has been regular water. Go me!
  2. Enter everything I ate into my phone application. Everything. Which I did. And I made pretty decent choices today. For example, at lunch they were doing warm chocolate-chip pecan pie with ice cream, which I totally skipped in favour of spicy vegetarian black bean soup, broccoli, summer squash, a couple of slices of tomato, and a small seeded roll. Breakfast was the worst, as with my appointment I missed breakfast at work, so I went to McDonald's and got two egg and cheese biscuits, which are a combined total of 780 calories! Dinner was more soup, corn on the cob, a small roll, and about five tater tots, so still a bit heavy on the starches, but not horrible. Later I had a couple of pieces of string cheese, a banana, some sugar-free pudding, and a little bit of hazelnut spread on bread. So I've eaten about 2000 calories today and according to the application, which records my steps, I've burned over 300 calories. Even at that, according to my doctor, at my current weight I'd lose on that, but I'd like to take it down to 1800 calories slowly. If I hadn't snacked in the evening, I'd have kept it under that.
In general I'm going to try to eat less bread, more fish, eggs, beans, fruits, and vegetables, and generally make better choices, and see what happens. Although I am pescetarian (fish but no meat), I rely far too much on bread and cheese and not enough on protein and vegetables. Now that my knee is doing better, I also want to start walking, although today was far too hot and humid to start. Perhaps in the mornings or evenings.

Okay, I think I'll go in the other room for awhile. Tomorrow I have a bunch of things planned for the afternoon and evening, including appointments and 'The Awesomes', so I'm not sure if I'll get in early enough to really blog. Have a good night.

No comments: