Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Please keep my family in your thoughts today

I just got off the phone with my mother, who told me that my grandmother, who is 90 years old and in hospice, is not expected to live throughout the day. I offered to come on home, but she said she probably wouldn't know me, and in any case may die before I could get there--about an hour's drive away. So I expect I'll get a sombre phone call later today. My grandmother has been in ill-health for some time, and it would be a freeing of the spirit from a body that is worn and tired, but it doesn't make it any easier to watch, and my mother is doing that duty at the moment. I said my goodbyes to my grandmother when she knew who I was and could appreciate it fully. But it's still sad. She is my last grandparent living; with her passing that generation is pretty much gone in my family. :( An emoticon doesn't do it justice, but words don't either. I won't try to write them.

No comments: