Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Whew!!!

There's a reason you haven't heard from me for a couple of days. Monday morning I flew to Chicago for a meeting of the Regional Advisory Council (RAC) of the Greater Midwest Region (GMR) of the National Networks of Library of Medicine {N/NLM) (say that three times fast), of which I am the state representative for Kentucky. I had not flown in over twenty years, certainly not since 9/11, so this was an adventure. Years ago I had a layover in O'Hare on a flight to Minneapolis, but I never got into the city itself. Oh, and I've never taken the train before, either elevated or subway. So this was definitely going to be an adventure--a quick one, as there was the RAC meeting yesterday and then a seminar today on mobile applications and devices in libraries, after which I headed back to O'Hare and took a flight home (thanks to Brandon and his family for picking me up and stopping by Subway so I'd have something to eat for dinner).

It was also a chance to meet my counterpart in Chicago for the first time, after corresponding with her and talking to her on the phone for nearly fifteen years. Turns out she's retiring in a little over a week. So we were able to get together. She was kind enough to meet me at the airport and orient me to the L, Chicago's elevated-subway train system, and had a pass for me, too. We also ate dinner later in the day and got acquainted. So that was good. Overall it was a fun time, although I spazzed over a few small things along the way.

Prior to the flight, I worried because of a fear of flying, the new security rules, and my size, which I was afraid would be an issue. Yesterday morning I ate just a few wheat crackers to settle my stomach. Fortunately I took the LexTran Keeneland/Airport bus to the terminal and that gave me some time to settle down. I've never been to the Keeneland racetrack and at least got to see what the buildings look like. Then it turned out that one of the local librarians I know was also on the council and was heading up just one seat behind me. As it turned out, I fit fine in the seat, didn't need an extender on the belt, or anything. I was calm and actually managed to read some of Gary Corby's The Ionia Sanction on the way. The plane was a small commuter one (I'm not sure how many seats it had, maybe 50?), with an aisle that was only about eighteen inches across. I did put my hand on the seat ahead of me a bit nervously during the landing, but I think I can be forgiven that due to the fact we were hurtling towards the ground.

I was a bit late to the meeting because it took awhile for me to find my colleague, (yes, I wandered around like a tourist with a terminal map in one hand and a rolling bag in the other) and we also had some trouble finding the building on the University of Illinois campus where it took place. The ride from O'Hare to the Medical District was interesting. They give you very little time to get through that door (and I had a rolling carry on). They're fairly jerky and loud. But overall I thought it was a good experience. After we'd walked all over the western campus, seeing just about every hospital there in the district, I was able to go to the meeting and fortunately they were still doing introductions. I managed to grab a little of the lunch I'd missed as well.

Later, we walked to the hotel. It was the first time I've every checked into a hotel on my own (I feel like such a yokel saying this.) [Even when I was a kid, and we went on the several moves across the country, we tended to stay in motels, usually the type where all the rooms open to the outside.] I didn't expect the $40 fee from my debit card for incidentals (of which I had none, so they'll refund it to me sometime this week, but that put my already limited funds further limited). I really had trouble with the keycards, especially in trying to get up the elevator. I finally got it to work correctly this morning after breakfast, my last ride up the thing. I could get to the lobby fine--that didn't require it, but each time I went to my room I had to rely on some stranger who was going up. And yes, I did everything they did, I just apparently did it poorly.

I got into the room (I stayed at the Marriott at UIC). It was lovely, but the only wall light switch was in the very entrance and it took me several minutes to locate any other switch in the room. There were several plates, all smooth. The switches were at the base of the various lamps, I just had trouble seeing them. So I felt totally like an idiot.

The room was lovely though, and while the sound of traffic would normally have bothered me, the CPAP covered that. Also, it was very nice of them to give us each our own room.

My librarian colleague and I met up and ate at the hotel restaurant and then I came back up and made a couple of calls to friends, and headed for bed by 9ish Chicago time (10 pm mine).

Today was much better. I woke after a good sleep, took a nice bath rather than my normal shower, had some oatmeal at the restaurant, then checked out of the hotel (after finally getting that keycard to work!) and rolled my little bag several blocks to the meeting area. We had a very good symposium, followed by a nice lunch, and then the librarian I'd flown with and I took a cab to the airport rather than the L. We got there very early because we weren't sure about security issues going back. But you know, the security stuff was easy going and coming, even with my CPAP and insulin and stuff. The only trouble I had on the way to Chicago was that I'd forgotten to take off my Medi-Alert bracelet, which I figured would set off the alarm. I tried and tried and couldn't get it off. They had me go through and it was fine. It took me 20 minutes to get it off last night, but I did. :) They have strange clasps that are meant to stay on under emergency circumstances. Anyway, Chicago, of course had longer lines, but they went quickly. I didn't go through a metal detector, I went through a body scanner. And then I collected my CPAP (which had to be out for inspection), shoes (Birkenstocks which slip off), little quart bag stuffed with liquids (I worked really hard to put in the citrus ginger lotion from the hotel in, but I had to leave behind the shampoo and conditioner they had), rolling bag, satchel, and coat. I think I had four bins and each airport. We found our gate without too much trouble and I started 'The Hunger Games' on my Kindle (that stayed off during the flight, though). I was a little more nervous on the flight back because of all the traffic at O'Hare and the fact it was cloudy and getting dark (I think it helps to be able to see the ground), plus there was more turbulence and a harder landing. But all in all, the flying was really rather fun.

All in all I enjoyed my trip, although I felt like an utter rube the whole time. But now that I know what I'm doing, I'm looking forward to next time. UIC has the contract for the GMR for five years, and the RAC meets yearly. So hopefully next time I'll be able to navigate better. I did a lot of prep work that made things easier, having information at my fingertips both in a folder of printouts and on my phone, at least. But next time I'll know more and I'd also like to maybe stay an extra night or two at my own expense and see some of Chicago, such at the museums or downtown. We'll see.

Anyway, I'm very glad to be home now, to be in familiar surroundings where people smile and acknowledge each other a little. The Chicagoans weren't rude, they just seemed preoccupied. The hotel staff and airport people were very helpful, I must say. But it's good to be home.

On that note, I am seriously considering going ahead and going to bed. If I don't write any more tonight, have a good one. Sorry I didn't update there; to be honest, I didn't want to announce to the world that my apartment was empty just in case someone unscrupulous out there knows where I live. It may sound paranoid; I call it good sense. Good night.

No comments: