Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Sticker shock

I am so used to shopping through Amazon (or even the Science Fiction Book Club), that I forget that there is a suggested retail price you pay if you go to a brick-and-mortar bookstore, and that hardcovers can be quite pricey. I did so today, partly because I wanted some books for tomorrow's game, and they had the copies I needed. On the one hand, I helped support a local bookstore, albeit one that had gone sadly downhill in recent years in terms of customer care and selection, although I had an excellent shopping experience today, so maybe they've bounced back from that. On the other, I spent nearly twice I would have at Amazon, and would have received free shipping on the items, although it would have taken about a week to get. Under normal circumstances, that would be no problem--but I've come late to holiday shopping as it is and wanted to give presents tomorrow. I'm not complaining, exactly--I got what I wanted, they pulled them from the shelves for me as I rode the bus out and put them on hold, and I merely had to come to the register and pick them up, one of the easiest shopping experiences I've ever had. I didn't have to wait for them, didn't even have to go to get them from their department. It just shocked me, because I'd priced them in two online arenas and they were much cheaper there, and I had to pull out a couple more bills to cover the total than I'd originally planned.

Of course, I then ate at what they call a bistro [it was easier than walking across a major thoroughfare to the mall, which was going to close early for new year's eve anyway, and I'd spent the money I'd planned to use for some lotion from Bath & Body Works getting the items at the bookstore]. It was excellent, and although a bit overpriced (I spent $20 on an appetizer, soda, and dessert, before the tip), was decently portioned and very well made, a pita stuffed with spinach and artichoke with a salsa and sour cream, along with beans. (I'm not sure how anyone would have had room for that and an entrée, unless they were sharing the appetizer with several people.) And yes, although I shouldn't have had it, I did decide to treat myself to a peanut butter mousse pie that shall be the last big 'sweet' I'll have for awhile, according to my new year's resolution. (I'm not saying I won't have anything sweet, maybe on a special occasion or something, but not every day and generally will strive to eat well for my diabetes). So that was the last hurrah, and a very nice one it was.

Now I'm home. I've rested. I'm going to try to work on some things here before the new year is rung in. Someone in the area has been shooting off fireworks. I'm tempted to take my sparklers out after midnight. I still have some to use up. We'll see.

So what do you plan on doing at midnight for the new year? They say you'll be doing for the rest of the year.

No comments: