Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, December 06, 2011

'Sometimes, I guess there just aren't enough rocks.'

That's my favourite quote from Forrest Gump, which I finally saw for the first time tonight. I made it almost to the end before I started bawling. I'm proud of that. There were lots of times I could have, but still...I finally lost it and as the credits played had to blow my nose and wash my face.

I always thought it sounded unbelievable and terribly, well, overly sentimental, but there is a wonderful interweaving of story and personalities, and although it pushes the envelope in terms of belief (the running across country so many times almost did me in), at heart it's a very tender, deep story. I'm glad I saw it. I think both Tom Hanks and Robin Wright did an excellent job. I have another film with Wright, The Princess Bride out from the library. Perhaps I'll watch that tomorrow. I have seen it several times, but it never grows old.

The next Netflix title in my queue is Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which I understand really does push that envelope regarding suspension of disbelief, but I'm willing to give it a shot. :)

1 comment:

Dave Reid said...

The book "Forrest Gump" is a good read, but weird as hell. (Especially when it gets to the wrestling bit)