Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, April 30, 2010

I am so sorry to hear

Police officer is killed
I don't think I've met Officer Durman (I see several police regularly who stop in by the store, for which I am grateful.) He was responding to a noise complaint and speaking with one of the passengers in the offending car when someone in possession of drugs and with outstanding warrants struck him, the car he was near, and the one in front of that. The suspect then sped off but Glenn Doneghy was later found and charged with murder, leaving the scene of an accident (a felony), 4 counts of assault 3rd Degree, 1 count of assault 2nd Degree, possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of a controlled a substance suspected to be cocaine, plus two counts of failure to appear in court unrelated to the incident.

Durman is the first Lexington police officer to be killed in the line of duty since 1985, (a sherriff's deputy was killed in 1987).

Ironically, the last uniformed officer I saw was Wednesday night, in honour guard uniform, who had spent all day doing casket duty. Officer Durman was killed last night, Thursday. I'm afraid there will be more of those somber uniforms as his body is laid to rest.

My heartfelt condolences to his family, colleagues, and friends.

No comments: