Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, March 30, 2006

A little more on that story yesterday about Lexington police officers

who are being investigated for inappropriate and derogotory remarks made in a public web forum. It's important to note that 1) this seems to involve a very small number of men, 2) a fellow police officer turned them in, and 3) the majority of police officers would not abuse their power (as in one case where an officer bragged about ticketing a neighbour whose car alarm annoyed him). Two of the officers, including the one whose web postings may affect the county's case against John Michael Montgomery (the country star was recently arrested on DUI charges here in Lexington), have been relieved of the ability to make arrests, but are being paid.

There is no specific policy in the division related to web postings (but there will be now), but there is a policy that officers are to follow when making public comments, as to the media, and also they are expected to conduct their personal lives in such a way that it does not reflect badly on the division. I have a similar clause in my employee handbook at the hospital. That's one of the reasons I'm very careful about what I say about my various jobs. This is a public arena, after all. No matter how frustrated I get (and I generally don't--my job doesn't have the stresses that, say, the police have), I don't vent here. That's what friends are for. :) At the same time, being a librarian is very much a part of my identity, as I'm sure it is for police officers. I can see blogging about the stresses of the job, but not giving specifics or using derogotory language. And yes, we are all free to make remarks due to our first amendment rights, but that doesn't mean we're guaranteed to go without consequences for our actions. It just means the government can't jail us for things we say without due cause. Private employers (or even public ones, such as a city/county) do not have to employ those who violate policies or otherwise cause trouble. There are certain things that can't affect your hiring or firing, namely things like religion, sex, race, etc. But what you say can definitely lead to consequences...just look at things like sexual harrassment or using foul language on the job. That area is often grey, but it's an area that can be used against an employee, especially if there are already other problems such as tardiness, poor work performance, etc. But I have to admit, I can't fault the city on their handling of this one. More than likely there will be administrative penalties, like loss of seniority or a mar on the employee's record. But even if the officers are fired over this, I think they're going to have to chalk this up to a learning experience and go forth, because the city will be within its rights to terminate.

Lexington Herald-Leader | 03/30/2006 | Six face disciplinary action

No comments: