Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, November 28, 2003

A very happy snowy Friday

The Friday Five:

1. Do you like to shop? Why or why not? Not particularly. I mean, I do like to browse, but I don't like dealing with crowds of people, so I tend to avoid the malls and big shopping days like today. So I tend to go on the hunt and grab instead. [Although ironically I did go to the mall today, with friends, and found that the crowds weren't so bad.]

2. What was the last thing you purchased? A jawbreaker (I couldn't resist the wall of gumball machines at the mall). As for things that are not immediately consumed, I bought a couple of books. What else would you expect from a librarian? My grandmother gave me my holiday money early and made me promise to get something for myself rather than gifts for others/bills, etc. So I got two books and the rest is going to go for socks, a winter hat, a scarf and gloves. Actually, I've bought a total of three books this months after several months of not being able to get any at all, so I'm practically gleeful.

3. Do you prefer shopping online or at an actual store? Why? I prefer shopping online due to the selection, convenience, and lack of crowds. However, I don't like not being able to touch the item myself. In clothing, for example, the feel of the cloth is important to me. And I can't shop for shoes without trying them on--they vary too much in relation to my feet.

4. Did you get an allowance as a child? How much was it? $1 a week. But I tended to skip lunch as a teenager and kept the money, so that made it about $7 a week. When my parents divorced, though, that pretty much went out the window until I went to college, and then my mom was able to do about $20 a week.

5. What was the last thing you regret purchasing? Hmmm...I can't think of anything lately that I either didn't need or didn't weigh carefully before I bought it--well, except for that jawbreaker. A couple of months ago I bought a lock for the gym and promptly lost the combination (it was on a sticker on the back rather than, say, an insert, etc. I went ahead and bought another lock, this time a key lock with a backup key, and that worked much better. So I guess the first lock was one I regret.

I didn't plan on shopping today; I don't like the crowds and the traffic. But Dwana invited a couple of us out to lunch so we went to the Café and Joseph-Beth of of course we had to look around. I found a couple of very useful herbals. Then we went over to her house and hung out for awhile and played with her cats and talked. Once her husband Eric got home we were getting hungry but they remembered they needed to pick up a present for family members so we all went over to Fayette Mall, got the item, and ate at the food court and then got into another big discussion. It was a very fun, totally spontaneous day. So, I'm finally home after 12 hours and I've fed the animals and am considering going on to bed, but oddly enough I'm not really that tired. I may go ahead and read for a little while first. It was great being off and getting to sleep in and then just run around in good company. It's snowing just enough to get ut into the holiday spirit without being dangerous, too. I love the first snow, when dogs to run around maniacally sniffing everything and 'snowploughing' with head down. Hope your day went as well.

No comments: