Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, November 02, 2003

Oh, that's not good...

I slept several hours earlier so I'm up late on a Saturday night and considering blogging about the weekend so far when I hear something sounding like a small explosion, followed by distinctly three gunshots, with a return volley after that. Needless to say, I called 911.

I live in a fairly safe area, at the intersection of the Chevy Chase and Idle Hour neighbourhoods in Lexington, Kentucky; I couldn't begin to afford to live in any of the houses around here, but we have quite a few apartment complexes within my block. In general I feel safer here than when I lived near UK or downtown. For that matter, Lexington's not too bad. We have about 17-25 murders a year throughout the city, and I think the population is around 300,000 these days. This is only the second or third time I've heard gunfire in the three years I've lived here, always coming from over by Fontaine or even into the Codell area, which is a little rougher. But, still, things happen just about anywhere, right? So, obviously, although I'm not scared, I'm not standing in front of windows and after calling in what I heard, I'm staying inside and minding my own business. I heard sirens even before I finished the call, so I'm thinking several of us called at once or police were nearby and heard it.

No comments: