Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, November 26, 2003

Okay you information professionals (or others up to the challenge), here's a reference question to test your finding skills

[meaning, of course, that I'm mostly coming up blank, right?]

What is the Latin name for a plant commonly known as 'Cruel Man of the Woods'?

I know that it is a root, so I don't think the 'Old Man of the Woods' mushroom is it. I've come across a reference to 'Man of the Woods' for American Ginseng. All references to the plant through Google go back to one book on plant properties or to places that sell the oil. I don't want that. I want the Latin name. It may be a Southern name; it may be a name mostly found in African-American or Creole cultures. It's not cross-referenced in any of my herbals or garden encyclopaedias, but that doesn't mean it's not out there.

Go forth. Find. Report. First person to e-mail the answer (and the source to back it up) wins a prize and credit for his or her endeavour. Fun, hmm?

No comments: