Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, May 09, 2003

One more thing...



Before I go to bed, just wanted to mention a couple of things. I saw Zabet for the first time yesterday since she got back from New Zealand. She brought very nice presents--a mineral mud masque and lavender honey. Patrick will bring back the rock I requested when he gets back. Yeah, I know, I'm a dork. I collect rocks, have since I was a kid, and I love having a bit of a place visited. I have a Welsh rock and I'm looking forward to one from the other side of the planet.

As a bit of a bummer, I got news today that the guy I went out on a date with Sunday may be moving to out of state, which is a shame, because I think we clicked pretty well. :( I don't think it's a done deal yet. In the meantime I hope we can get together, at least with our mutual friends, before he leaves. We have a lot of interests in common and would do well at least as friends and I'd like to get to know him better and then maybe we could stay in touch with e-mail if he does go away. I get the idea that he wasn't ready to date (still getting over a relationship that ended six months ago, which is understandable--it took me ten years to get over mine) and this latest complication maybe made things even more awkward. But that's okay. I'm a pretty patient person, and it's not like I've been burning up the dating circuit the last few years. If it were somehow meant to be more, then it will work out eventually, and if not, maybe I can make a friend. In the meantime, one of the best things about going on the date was that I did okay. I was nervous beforehand--who wouldn't be?--but I genuinely liked the guy, I liked talking to him, and after a little bit I forgot to stay self-conscious. Maybe dating again could work after all, if not with him, then with someone else. I think of it as scary and a lot of work, but really, it's not like I'm wanting to latch onto someone like a leech or something. I believe in knowing up front what you're getting, and it was nice to be myself and that was okay. I'm not looking for "the one", although if that comes to pass, it's a special bonus. I just want to meet new people and learn how to interact. I'm afraid I'm a little dating retarded, and not having gone out on a date since...um...1985 (and I didn't realise at first that I was dating even then) leaves you rusty. And I am willing to work with a partner if a relationship does develop. [And, no, I'm not writing this just because I know you read my blog :) Yes, you get an honourable mention. Don't worry, I don't identify people on my blog unless I know it's okay. But really, I'm just talking through some of my feelings, and trying to sort them out.]

Oh, by the way, Dwana's got her blog going again. Check it out.

Well, it's definitely time to get some sleep. 'Night.

No comments: