Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, May 25, 2003

Day #2 of Holiday



Just got in (it's nearly midnight, and I've been running around since about 10:45 this morning!)

  • Installed Seti@Home. It never worked right when I tried before; I don't know if they've updated or if Windows XP likes it better, but it's doing fine, now. Yipee! It's busily analysing as we speak. (Yes I know I'm such a geek, but really, my stepdad built a wonderful computer that's overclocked at a gigahertz. Shouldn't I put that to a good use, like, for all humanity?)
  • Went to the Rusty Scabbard, a gaming store. Met up with my friend Dee and we made plans for the game tomorrow. She's coming back after being off during the semester for school (which worked out well--she got a 3.5 GPA) and a trip to Vermont (to see an old friend get hitched--okay, maybe not married, but I think hitched works--in the only state that recognises gay unions). She's going to give me a ride, which means I can take Cerys with me. Everyone misses seeing her (I have never found a way to smuggle a 45 lb. dog on the bus. She's too small to say she's a companion animal and too big to fit in a bag). So I'm looking forward to that and hoping all the animals get along.
  • Stopped by Turfland Mall and ate at Subway. I tried their Southwester Chipotle sauce with a Veggie Delight and it was very nummy.
  • Did much transcription of some rules for the game in easily indexed bits. Let me just say for the record that White Wolf's Werewolf tribe Black Spiral Dancers is just sick, sick and wrong. Don't these people ever do happy stuff? Oh, that's right, happy isn't tragick enough. :)
  • Home at last..to find that Zabet and I continue to play phone tag. She must have called about 15 minutes after I left. I never heard from her yesterday (our usual day to get together). Don't know what happened, but at least I know she didn't fall off the face of the planet. :) I was beginning to worry. So, I'll call tomorrow and see if we can finally connect.
  • Heard from Dwana, who was on her way to her in-laws for the day. She's feeling better, which is good. When I talked to her yesterday she was dealing with some pain and generally not feeling too well.


On another note, I've jumped on and off a lot of buses over the last 24 hours, and it's definitely interesting to watch people and listen to some of the oddest things. I am, however, seeing the wisdom of keeping my own mouth shut and looking for terribly interesting things out the windows. One lady totally went off with a lot of profanity the other day at the transit centre. The only thing I could figure is that someone got too close to her space. You see such a variety of people on the bus. Some are mentally ill, physically disabled, or elderly. Some are students, or just the working poor like me. There are some real characters, both in terms of passengers and bus drivers. It's always an adventure, but since I have a degree in sociology, sometimes it just seems like some sort of crazy experiment that I've been sucked into. :) Well, that's it. I think I'll play Word Mojo for awhile and then totter off to bed. 'Night.

PS How can a seven-pound cat chew his food so loudly he sounds like a 100-ft crunch monster? I don't know how Buns does it, but damn, it's unnerving. It sounds like if you took a 50-ft woman and stuck her in corduroys, making sure her thighs rubbed together!

No comments: