Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, May 13, 2003

Okay, I think Hell is starting to frost over...



After years of hearing about how our company doesn't pay that well, but it's rock solid in terms of weathering a bad oeconomy, I found it interesting that our administration is having to make budget cuts only five months into the fiscal year. Knowing that there were some rumbling clouds on the horizon, I had turned in a budget for this year that was at about 94% of last, even with a request for travel to an annual medical library conference, when we were allowed to go 3% above last year. I probably screwed myself royally, because not only was the trip not allowed, they'll still want to cut some of the budget. My boss told me today that no one will probably get raises next year. I'm not really that surprised, but I think many who have been around for awhile are in shock. We've always been told that there's enough money in the system to run things for 20 years, even if another penny never went to the mix. We could usually count on raises between 3-4% a year--not anything like those seen at private companies, but I'm not sure if anyone's ever had to take a pay cut. There will be a series of "town hall meetings" to address concerns. One of the hospitals in another area of the country may be closing soon, and I think people are antsy.

Given that sort of climate, the natural thing is to check out jobs out there. There's usually huge competition for library positions in this area due to the library school nearby. And some places have been on hiring freezes most of the past year. Things must be improving, though, because there was not merely one but seven jobs in the area--five at universities and two at public libraries. I'm a little shocked, but gleeful. It's time to put those job hunting skills in action. Most start at about $36,000 a year--only one is less than $30,000 (and involves driving, so I doubt I'll go for that one). The university positions are faculty appointments, and you're expected to participate in organisations and conferences, whereas I had to really educate people where I work that I don't sit around reading and sshhhing people all day and couldn't get taken seriously in terms of going to a national conference. :) For someone who's struggled over the last 6 years with a so-called professional job that started at $9.02 an hour and even now barely breaks into the lower 20s in terms of annual income when the hourly wage adds up, that's a godsend. I've learnt a lot in the past few years, but I think I've reached a ceiling for what I can do. I feel stronger and better than I have in years, and I think I'm ready for something new. Ooooohhh. Please keep your fingers crossed for me. :)

One thing I'll have to add to my CV is that I apparently have won an award from the Hospital Libraries section of the Medical Library Association. It's a Scroll for Exemplary Service, and it's one of about 125 awarded throughout the country. One of the librarians on the committee called me and let me know the other day. Nifty. :) My counterpart in Chicago put in the nomination as a way to help get me to a national conference one of these days, I think. :) Well, that's enough for now. Have a good night.

No comments: