Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, May 09, 2003

FRRIIIDDDDAAAAAYYYYYY!!

1. Would you consider yourself an organised person? Why or why not?
Ha! For someone who makes a living by organising things so they're accessible to others (and I was trained as a cataloguer), I am piss-poor at organising my own life. It's like it all gets thrown into one pile and things might surface to the top. An old boss is the same way. She said she was too busy organising other people's lives to deal with her own.

2. Do you keep some type of planner, organiser, calendar, etc. with you, and do you use it regularly?
I keep a handheld device--a Handspring Visor. Give me a planner and I use it a few times and it gets lost in the mound of stuff on my desk. Give me a computer and I'm okay, especially with backups. I used to say that at least I couldn't lose a computer on my desk. The handheld would be easy to misplace, but it backups each time I sync and I have a special pocket in my satchel for it. :)

3. Would you say that your desk is organised right now?
Actually, it is. I straighten up everything on a quarterly basis, and we're going into our big open house, so I'm trying to get the library looking nice. Usually I just get to a point where I can't take it anymore and sit down and organise.

4. Do you alphabetize CDs, books, and DVDs, or does it not matter?
Yes. Of course, what sort of librarian do you take me for? Actually, they are grouped by subject--so cookbooks are further divided into say, vegetarian, diabetes, Italian cooking, etc. History books are arranged chronologically. Fiction is by genre, followed by author's name. At least I've never put shelf labels on them.

5. What's the hardest thing you've ever had to organise?
Without fail, people. I've headed several committees and organisations, and unlike books, people just are too dynamic and resistant to attempts to keep them in order. They tend to wander off even more frequently when you're not looking.

No comments: