Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, May 17, 2003

Oh, gee, it's amazing the permutations of SARS...



SARS is causing foreign adoptions of Chinese children to be suspended indefinitely. That's got to be heartbreaking. I watched someone go through the trials and pain of adoption from within this country. I can't imagine the problems involved with international adoptions, and this is one more wrench in the process.

There was a time when our society believed technology would solve all our woes. I never believed that; I can remember my father explaining to me when I was pretty young that the purpose of war and disease was to check human population. At the time I thought he was pretty callous, but really, he was right. But it still sucks, doesn't it?

No comments: