Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, February 10, 2018

I got up very early for a Saturday

But then I was in bed by about 9 pm and asleep by 10:30 last night.  I have to take a couple of people to an appointment in a couple of hours, and so I wanted to get up early, get washed up and dressed, and clean out the car.  Not that there was much in the way of trash (a couple of soda bottles to recycle), but I still had a small cherry table in the backseat and my TV and DVD player in the trunk, and they've been there since before I got sick.  I set it all up, it works (now that I have WiFi, I can not only get the basic channels with a digital antenna, I can get streaming services since it's a (small) Smart TV).  I can also watch my DVDs now without hooking up the old DVD-ROM to my laptop (I don't have one built into the computer as it's smaller and they saved space).

YKWIA just came in and saw the TV set up.  I'm not sure he was happy, but he said it was okay.  I did set it all up while he was asleep in the hopes that he'd be less likely to say no, I have to admit, which I did freely to him.  But it's out of the way of his treadmill (though next to it) and away from the books, so I think it'll be okay.

So far this morning I've also taken my meds (including the antibiotic), eaten some raisin bran with a banana, and now I'm in my room while he's watching 'Will & Grace', with the cat perched on my bed.  It's raining outside, so the dogs weren't particularly happy, and they were just let in and are gated in the kitchen.

I like the new room. I have a door I can shut so I have more privacy, so my music doesn't disturb him (or the TV for that matter).  I can hear him on the computer when he's watching stuff because he plays it loudly (his hearing isn't what it used to be, but then neither is mine, I just can listen to things more softly), but I can take it down a notch or two by closing the door.  I'm surrounded by books on three sides of the room, and I have taken over some of the built-in shelves, so I have more storage as far as the bed go.  The water for my CPAP, for example, is in the footboard instead of next to the bed.  I have the two nightstands, with two drawers each, the bookcase on the headboard, plus the top of that, the footboard with two sliding-door cabinets and two long drawers for underwear, socks, and nightclothes.  He's let me use his cedar chest for pants and T-shirts.  My normals blouses and sweaters, along with my laundry basket, lunch bags, a few random bags, and my robe are in the entryway closet.  I also keep my two microfleece blankets there in the daytime.  In the hall closet are my linens and two bags of purses.  Also in the bedroom, in addition to the TV/DVD/cherry table, are two small trash cans and a Bluetooth speaker tower.  My headboard has a small CD player/boom box, so I have all the music set up and now the video.  He brought a stool in while I was sick to put my food on, and I've kept it, so I have the laptop on it right now and my chair from the kitchen.  But those travel around, of course.  So it's a nice, comfy environment, and I'm doing so much better in terms of anxiety and psychological peace since downsizing.  Now granted, I am having to pay for storage, and most of that is the books that I didn't get rid of.  But it's still much better than when I was in the apartment.  We're doing pretty well in terms of getting along and giving each other space, although I'm a bit too chatty for him before his coffee, except that's usually just Saturdays and Sundays, and I can take a hint. I think having me home (especially after I ventured out of the bed after three days) was starting to get to him, having a little too much time with me).  But otherwise, we're doing fine.  I have certain chores and he does as well; we share a lot of the upkeep.

I have two windows in my room, good-sized, but separate as opposed to the two in the living room, which are together.  There are two maple trees and a redbud outside in the front yard, and there is a squirrel who has been hopping between one and the roof above.  The cat is having his Zen time on my bed, or I'm sure he'd be enjoying the view.   We get lots of squirrels.  Our neighbour has been putting out corn for them, and they nest in the maples.  It's nice living in a house.  It's got a little over 1200 square feet, has the large bedroom, which I gather was two rooms at one point, you can tell on the hardwood floor, the library, which was a study and a den at one point until they remodeled, the living room, a kitchen with utility room, and a bath.  I do wish they'd kept the bath as one main one with the half bath off the master bedroom, but instead they knocked down a wall and made it a large bathroom with tub, a shower glassed in on three sides, a window, two sinks (that is nice) with a large mirror and three cabinets behind it, and a door going to the bedroom and to the hall.  But sometimes we trip over each other trying to use it.  Still, it's nice, and there's ceramic tile in the kitchen and bath, and hardwood throughout the rest of the house, the former having been part of their remodelling a few years ago.  There's a nice-sized shed for storage and a privacy fence for the dogs, although one likes to jump up and peek over it, and can.  She could technically clear it, I think, she just doesn't realise it.  Still, I suspect she scares the neighbours when she does that, as she is a Labrador-pit bull mix with amazing jumping power.  The other little dog is a border collie-terrier mix.  The cat is black and slinky.  They are all incredibly loving and good-natured.  The older dog has mellowed over the years; she used to be much more anxious and weird.  We found that a Thundershirt helped when she was outside, but the other dog was offended by it and would drag her around the yard by it until she tore it to pieces.  She used to have to be sedated around the Fourth of July, but now she's a little deafer and it doesn't bother her.  I love all the animals dearly, but I'm a little partial to the little dog, who sleeps in my room most nights.

There was just a mourning dove out on the tree a minute ago, spooked by a squirrel.  But she walked along the branch with that funny gait and head bobbling thing they do.  I think they are my favourite bird, not particularly showy, but I love them.  They're usually on the ground in pairs when I see them.  I love their call, as well, so eerie.

Okay, I guess I should go get hydrated and ready for the outing.  I hope things are going pretty well for you all.  Stay well (I had mild flu, really, but it still was bad enough).  Have a great day.

No comments: