Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, February 11, 2018

We're coming up on the anniversary

of my mother's death, March 2nd.  I'm thinking about going down to Danville on the 3rd of March to lay some flowers at her grave and visit it for a while.  I'm going to text my step-father to see if he wants to meet for lunch somewhere in Danville that day, so maybe we can catch up.  I haven't seen him since May when he brought some family pictures up for me and we talked for a couple of hours.  He was incredibly good to her, especially in her last illness.  I want to check up on him and make sure he's doing okay.  We're not especially close, and he has a lot of drama in his family that I try to stay away from.  But I do like him; he's my favourite step-father, and I must admit I probably like him better than my father, with whom I haven't spoken since 1993.

Momma is buried in Bellevue Cemetery in Danville.  I checked the regulations, and it should be fine to bring some real cut flowers and lay them on her grave.  I'm thinking about some nice tulips.  She probably liked roses better, but tulips are a herald of spring.  I always thought it was sad she didn't live to see the renewal of life in spring.  She despised gladiolas, though--that I know.  It reminded her of funerals.

Okay, I'm going to attend to a needy cat who wants love (and food, but it's not time yet).

No comments: