Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, April 30, 2016

I read about this several days ago, and it left me in disbelief and anger

It still does. Read for yourself:

Punished after reporting rape at Brigham Young University
"I felt so angry. I mean, here she had an over-20-page police report with every little detail of the rape," Barney said. "I feel almost as violated by the school as I do by my rapist."

Barney said she's now facing backlash from BYU for not answering all its questions. Her attorney told her not to talk about details of her case until after the trial of her alleged rapist this fall. However, the university won't let her register for future classes until she cooperates with the Honor Code office.

"They like to say a victim of sexual assault will never be referred to the Honor Code office for being a victim of sexual assault," said Barney.

"But they would've never known about these Honor Code allegations had I chosen not to report my rape. And I think that's what bothers me and makes me feel so betrayed."
This is absolutely wrong. I hope the school evaluates it's Honour Code and makes changes in how it handles the cases of victims of sexual assault.

No comments: