Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, June 07, 2014

It was a good run while it lasted

I took out time out of my day's activities, around 6:52, to watch the Belmont as California Chrome attempted to complete the Triple Crown. Sadly, that didn't happen; instead Tonalist won, leaving California Chrome in a tie for fourth.

We haven't had a Triple Crown winner since 1978. Carter was President. Grease was the big movie of the year, and disco was in full swing. The last horse who accomplished this was Affirmed; he is buried nearby my home on the Darley Stud horse farm, which I have visited. I was 11 years old when he won the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness, and the Belmont, and firmly in my horsey-girly phase, as a friend calls it. I particularly loved the books of Marguerite Henry, such as Black Gold, King of the Wind, Misty of Chincoteague, Stormy, Misty's Foal, Justin Morgan Had a Horse, and Brighty of the Grand Canyon. I was particularly taken with the story of Black Gold, winner of the 1924 Kentucky Derby, who wnen he was seven ran a race where he broke down yet still finished the race on three legs, leading to his euthanisation and burial at the New Orleans Fairgrounds. Black Gold never raced in the Preakness or Belmont, instead winning several state derbies. But he had spirit, and I suppose it is the spirit of horses I admire so much, even though, despite living in 'The Horse Capital of the World', I don't really have much experience with them and in fact have to avoid them because I'm terribly allergic to them. :)

Anyway, I'm sorry that California Chrome's dreams were dashed. But at least it was a safe race and I hope he continues to excellent things.

No comments: