Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Just finished watching

The Book Thief. I do have the book by Markus Zusak on my Kindle, but have not read it yet, so I can't tell you how close the movie is to the book. What I can tell you is that this movie made me cry for the better part of the last hour, but it was very uplifting as well. It is the story of Liesel, a young girl who cannot read yet has a fascination for books, stealing her first, a guide to grave digging, at her brother's funeral. Set in Hitler's Germany prior to World War II and up to the end of it, and shown through the eyes of a child, it is the story of a lonely quiet girl who slowly bonds with her foster parents, the boy next door, and the young Jewish man their family is hiding. Narrated by Death, we are assured that everyone will die at some point, but the way these people live their lives is a legacy that fits into story around them like the words that become so important to Liesel. It is the story of decent people, cruel people, people of all walks of life and temperament, of survival, and love. As Death says, 'The only truth I truly I know is that I am haunted by humans.' I highly recommend it. I liked it so well I went ahead and ordered it on Amazon. Next up on the DVD queue for A and me to watch is Twelve Years a Slave. I'm also going to put The Grand Budapest Hotel on it, which had a preview on this DVD, because I think YKWIA, A, and I would all enjoy it.

No comments: