Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Today I finished and returned

my first book checked out on the Kindle from the Lexington Public Library. It was called The Poison Diaries, by Maryrose Wood, Duchess of Northumberland. I went ahead and checked out the following:

Borrower of the Night by Elizabeth Peters (the first Vicky Bliss novel; I've read all of the Amelia Peabody series but not Vicky Bliss)
The Murder Room by Michael Capuzzo
Running the Books by Avi Steinberg

which, all in all, is a little ambitious, as they're good for one week. :) But I read faster on the Kindle, mainly because I can read on the bus...regular books make me carsick. I also put a reserve on a couple of e-books and one print one--the latter being Death in the Devil's Acre, by Anne Perry. So my reading is going better than it had for awhile. There were a couple of months where I really didn't feel like it.

The process of getting the Kindle books was pretty easy, although it takes several clicks and in my case a download to the computer and transfer via USB cable (I have a Kindle 2; it has 3G but not Wi-Fi, and library books are delivered only through the Wi-Fi, not 3G). You go to your library site's Overdrive section, browse or search for books, find one you like, put it in a cart, click on a button to get the book, which opens up a window to Amazon, click on a button to get the library book, and it is either delivered (if you have Wi-Fi) or downloaded, easy as pie. To return a book before the borrowing time is up, you go to the area on Amazon where you manage your Kindle, go to the list of books, which includes the library books, clearly marked as such, choose return this book, and there you go. If you don't plan on checking it out again or purchasing it, you can remove it from your library. Amazon has it set up so that your notes and highlights remain if you check the book out again or purchase it, so presumably if you want to do that, you should keep it. I don't know about the Wi-Fi Kindle, but on mine I also need to remove the book from my device. It sounds complicated, but really it isn't. All in all, I'm excited and pleased to be able to do this. Thank you Amazon and the Lexington Public Library!

Also, I got my second DVD from Netflix today, I Am Number Four. The idea is to watch that tomorrow, return it Wednesday, and have Beastly in by the weekend so I can watch it with YKWIA. I didn't realise when I did that that the main star is the same for both movies. Both are also based on young adult novels.

Okay, it's the middle of the night. I fell asleep earlier without my insulin, but also got up because it's my night to do a libation, doubly appropriate because it is also dark of the moon. Must attend to that. Good night.

No comments: