Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Resist...resist....resist...resist

Kindle Fire

[Everyone seems to be ignoring the Kindle Touch that was also announced today, although I think it's rather nifty.]

There are now are now seven types of Kindles:

Kindle [$79 with ads, $109 without]
Kindle Touch [$99 with ads, $139 without]
Kindle Touch 3G [$149 with ads, $189 without]
Kindle with Keyboard (the type that's been on the market for a year) [$99 with ads, $139 without]
Kindle with Keyboard 3G [$139 with ads, $189 without]
Kindle DX (the large one) [$379, 3G/no ads]
Kindle Fire tablet [$199]--this is a wi-fi device, no 3G

All of these include wi-fi (as opposed to my Kindle 2, which just has 3G--but I can get books or browse the web from the bus). :)

If I were to get another device, it would be the tablet. At $199 I think it will be very popular. There's a nice comparison of the different models on the Kindle Fire page (the link above), as well as the specifications. One of my co-workers (who had been saving up for an iPad) pre-ordered one today; I'll look at hers before any final decision, but for now I'm resisting. It's not so much reading books on it that has me interested--I like the e-Ink of the regular Kindles better than backlight. It's all the stuff you can do with it. I would have to set up a wi-fi network at home, though. And it would make sense to get Amazon Prime. Still...

No comments: