Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, September 02, 2011

Interesting photo essay

Where Children Sleep

Recently, the charitable organization Save the Children asked documentary photographer James Mollison to come up with an idea to get people thinking about the rights of children around the world. What he came up with was an unusual, but powerful project: a photo essay of more than 200 children and their bedrooms, called "Where Children Sleep."

"I found myself thinking about my bedroom: how significant it was during my childhood, and how it reflected what I had and who I was," Mollison, who was born in Kenya, writes. "It occurred to me that a way to address some of the complex situations and social issues affecting children would be to look at the bedrooms of children in all kinds of different circumstances." The book has sold out since its initial printing last year, and Mollison says his publisher intends to reprint it later this year.

The link above shows a small sampling, including one girl from Harlan County, Kentucky. But to see more, go to the author's site. There are actually two from Kentucky. The second one, a boy's room, frightens me more than any other child's room in the essay, mainly due to the decorative use of guns and camouflage, although the room of the little girl from Japan whose mother spends $1000 on her wardrobe comes a close second.

Thanks to Sarah Glenn for the link.

No comments: