Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

By the way

Last week we got our employee appreciation gift from work, which were two prepaid admission tickets to a local theatre chain, so on Saturday I went to see The Help. I enjoyed the movie a lot, although I liked the book better. Two things in particular bothered me about the movie--how they handled Constantine's daughter [and every person I know who has the read the book agrees with me on that one] and I didn't think that Skeeter's mother was right for the part, or at least was not played true to form. A Jewish friend was somewhat disappointed in a lack of Jewishness in Mrs Stein's portrayal (okay, she said 'chutzpah' once, but still...)

I cried several times throughout the book, but only once during the film. I identified most with the character of Mae Mobeley. While I was reading the book, Hilly was the character I despised the most, but during the movie, it was Elizabeth. I think the acting was for the most part quite good overall. I think the movie was also more 'feel good' than the book.

Anyway, that was my take on things. I would recommend both. If you plan on doing both, read the book first--you'll be able to laugh at the funny parts before the rest of the people at the cinema. :)

No comments: