Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Well I did fall asleep by 10:30 last night, but

I got up early and I've already washed four loads of laundry (they're in the dryers now), gone through the recent mail and tossed the junk into the recyclable container, fed the fish, and generally puttered about. One of the loads of laundry is what I hope to salvage from the Great Leak of Doom. It includes a coat that would be hard to replace (it's a purple duster) and my master's hood from when I got my degree, plus the only University of Kentucky clothing item I own (an alumni sweatshirt) and a couple of nice tops I didn't want to give up on. I used some vinegar to hopefully help freshen them up, although I'm somewhat doubtful. There are a few mildew stains left on the hood, but the others looked okay under not-so-close inspection.

I'm going to take out the trash when I go get my clothes. Funny, I downgraded to a fairly small (maybe 7 gallon?) trash can for the kitchen in the attempt to take it out every couple of days, and that's worked, although it's taken me since Thursday to fill one up, even with the cleaning. The recycle container, however, is a full-sized laundry hamper that had been in the closet that leaked and although I think I got all the mildew off it, didn't want to put my clothes back in it. So that worked out. I guess that's good, from an environmental issue, that I throw very little actual trash into the landfills.

Now I do have several electronic gizmos that are dead and need to go to the great Recycle Centre in the Sky, but I have no way to get to the place you can drop them off. I need to see if Margaret or Brenda could give me a ride over there, depending on the times available. In the meantime, they're one of the few things in the closet that tends to leak, because they are dead and lifeless, and won't be harmed by any more water.

I'm so glad I never put books in that closet.

Anyway, I'm going to check the news. Didn't get very far on Google Reader last night. Have a great day.

No comments: