Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, October 08, 2010

What an (absolutely) wonderful day

Today I was off from work for the first time in awhile, and I:
  1. Walked over to the Kroger bus stop to catch the 11 am connector bus (it never goes downtown) that would take me to Andover Shoppes, making it with about five minutes to spare.
  2. Ate at Tandoor. I like the flavour of the Masala restaurant's food better, and the service, but the atmosphere and variety on the buffet (they have two buffet stations) is probably superior, and the food and service was good. The guy who rang me up lives in the same apartment complex I do (I have many neighbours from India and Nepal where I live). I only filled one plate plus a little bowl of fruit and some extra naan (I dearly love naan), and felt pleasantly full. I meant to ask if they still deliver. I have a menu on my bulletin board but it's been awhile. I think if I ever have my friends over for a dinner again, I will order from them, as I really just can't cook and have demonstrated this horribly with the last get-together. Twigs have more taste.
  3. Went through the Dollar Tree and Goodwill stores, and at the latter I found a CD in good condition of the original Broadway cast of Camelot, which I plan on giving YKWIA. The books were a little scary, so I actually made it out of there without any. :) Ran into a co-worker while I was there, who was off work today, too. Also discovered where the blood bank on my side of town is (right in that shopping centre--I thought it was somewhere in Hamburg).
  4. Crossed the road to the Carmike, where movies are $1.50, and watched Despicable Me, which I must say was a fun little movie. I just saw it in 2-D, and the print at the theatre was a little scratchy, but I suppose they don't get the fresh ones at that price. It was fun.
  5. Walked down from Andover to Palumbo to catch the Woodhill bus rather than the connector because I'd checked and something I've been waiting on since September 19th came in the mail at work (I have trouble getting things delivered to the apartment sometimes, so I just have them sent there). It was a long walk for me and my asthma gave me a little trouble, although not to the point of needing an inhaler, but it was a beautiful day and the walk was nice. I then took the bus to the hospital, picked the package up, and took the bus to Mist Lake Plaza shops.
  6. Got a hair cut, not the greatest but okay, and the fly-away tendrils that looked so flat are gone. It's chin-length again. I let the lady talk me into getting some thickener for fine hair because it 1) wasn't sticky and 2) wasn't very expensive.
  7. Went to Gabriel Brothers but forgot to have them ring up socks, which I was glad I realised before wheeling the cart out of the store, but I didn't feel like going back through a fairly robust line. So, no socks, but I got a couple of nice (and tasteful; no vinyl) shirts.
  8. Went to Avenue and found some truly nice tops that were on special. I let the sales lady talk me into applying for an account even though I know they won't give me one (you get a 20% off coupon even if they deny you). I guess it was easy mark day.
  9. Really tried to help an African man who was asking about the bus and was on the wrong side of the street to catch the one downtown. It took two of us, but we got him and a group of Spanish-speakers on the correct side.
  10. Walked home, realising that I should have gone somewhere I could have gotten some quarters to do laundry with today. Oh, well--I'll walk over to the bank tomorrow and get some, and I can pick up my pay statement from the store while I'm at it.

Now I'm home. Before Sunday I have laundry, character sheets, and game notes to do, so I'll be busy, but not frantic, hopefully. It's nice to be productive. Yesterday I was over at YKWIA's house moving books and generally helping with some projects and then we watched some of the BBC series 'Merlin'. I called a cab at 3 am which then came at 4, and finally got to bed about 4:30 am, and I didn't sleep in this morning and can't really tomorrow, so I may take a small nap after I eat dinner.

Have a wonderful weekend.

No comments: