Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Sorry for the unexpected hiatus

The last three days have been very busy and I've been coming home and basically crashing.

Saturday was game notes and most importantly, the last day I worked at the gas station. I got to see a lot of my regular customers and say goodbye to them. One lady wished me well and said I'd always been very nice to her. Another hugged me. I kind of wish there had been something (a note, a card, etc., nothing much) from the actual company thanking me for nearly five years of service (ancient in terms of retail, I'm beginning to believe), but there wasn't anything, and I can't say I'm not surprised. If Angelica had been there, she would have taken me out to eat. Teressa would have thanked me. Brandon probably would have sprung for Texas Roadhouse, our favourite meal while we were working. But I guess that's the point. There wasn't anyone left at the store who really cared whether I came in or not beyond whether they'd be covering my shift. And that was part of the reason I left. So I clocked out that night (the last time I had to get that thing to take my fingerprint), folded up my shirts (pictured to the left), took out the paper in my name tag that said 'Team Member Since 2005), and went home.

The next day was the game, where we rescued a baby Deep One who had not yet gone over to the side of Dagon and Cthulhu, and was therefore still an innocent, freeing it from the freak show at the carnival (or more properly, from the adult Deep Ones who had caused much mayhem at the carnival) and getting it to the sea. It was fun, but I really have to get back into playing one of my characters with more authority; she's in charge, and didn't do much else than turn the Deep One bodies to dust afterward.

We didn't do the big grocery run this Sunday; we're going to do that tomorrow instead. I need to make up a list of my own needs and get some things while we're out, so that I don't have to schlep things home in my granny cart later.

Yesterday I spent a good bit of the day playing phone tag and trying to liberate toner from our copier company. I also called Amazon about a personal order which, of all things, has been held up for two weeks over a $7 DVD (Auntie Mame, to be exact.) It did say that it could take 9-13 days to ship because of it, but yesterday was 15. So I used Amazon's 'Call Me' service (they rang while it was still connecting on the screen, and they assured me that my items would be shipped on Monday or Tuesday and the shipping would be expedited at no charge. I had not wanted to cancel the DVD because that would have dropped it down to $20, not enough for free shipping, and after waiting so long, I figured I was entitled to free shipping, so I was satisfied with this. It's not that I'm impatient, it had just been longer than originally promised and I did want the order sometime soon. Of course we'll see, because it did not ship yesterday and hasn't yet today. :)

I also sat down with my backup to let her do some data entry in case I'm sick or take off any extended time. I am taking off Friday (to celebrate my first free weekend), but there probably won't be a need for her to enter them and there's a lot of stuff she needs to do that day. Still, it's good to do it every now and then so if something happens, she'll be ready. I hope I won't get sick (I took my flu shot Friday), but you never know.

Today we have a benefits fair and open enrolment will soon begin. I don't think I'm going to change anything this year, even though I ran out of flexible spending money within six months. That was unusual, since I had a big dental bill and the orthotics for my feet. I do need to call today to get a couple of prescriptions ready and pay out of pocket.

A very nice co-worker gave me a ride Friday and Monday, so I got home sooner than normal. I was just so tired, I went ahead and ate, tried to get through some news, and then headed for bed supposedly for an hour. Last night I just went ahead and slept 12, getting up to go to the bathroom a lot. Anything I'm drinking seems to go right through me these days.

Okay, I need to leave for work. I must remember to bring a job application for the hospital for one of the women I talk to every day on the bus. She works in retail food and they've cut her hours to 20 a week, and there's a food service job open at the hospital which would be guaranteed at 36. She seems very nice and is always punctual, from what I can tell. Right now she's bussing 1 1/2 hours to work to work four hours, and with this she could just walk. So I gave her my card as a reference and am taking her the application.

Okay, have a great day.

No comments: