Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, January 30, 2009

One thing about women

the world can be going to hell in a hand basket, and as long as we have clean hair, it's all good. I'm sure that although Scarlett O'Hara railed against hunger, a good bath and a dress made of draperies helped immensely. After a day of no hot water, I was ready for a shower, and not the regular utilitarian-good-for-water-conservation type that I usually take, but a luxurious one. So now, I am clean and happy. Some people can go more than 24 hours without one and that's fine; I wind up with hair looking like I'm Severus Snape's sister.

It's snowing again outside; it looks like maybe a quarter of an inch or so on the cars, no big deal.

I'm getting ready for work, having a brain again after hours of good sleep. Yesterday is not exactly a blur, but there was a frenetic quality to it, because I was so tired I had trouble sleeping, carrying on a conversation, etc. A friend thinks that the CPAP wasn't the culprit, that I was nervous about the power outage and cold and anxious, and that if we were ever in a true disaster they'd have to put me down for my own good, because I'd be running around like Beaker the Muppet in a panic. He may be right, I'm not sure. I usually handle emergencies alright on the surface but agitated inside, and then I fall apart afterwards. This is one reason I chose not to go into the medical field as a doctor or nurse, although in retrospect my first choice as a kid of optometrist would have been nice, since they make decent money, get to be called 'doctor' and really don't have life-and-death emergencies. Instead I went with librarian because I had a history and sociology degree and seemed somewhat aimless after my divorce, and I sort of gravitated to library school because it seemed like a good idea at the time. After all, I liked books and computers, right? Don't get me wrong; I love being a librarian and I'm good at it, but I've never had much job security or comfortable income to really rely on since I'm underemployed and refuse to travel and leave the ties here at home to another city with better prospects, without a library school churning out new candidates every semester.

Well, that's all for this morning. It's 9:20 and I want to finish getting ready, get the snow off my car, and get to work early so that I can hopefully leave a little early today to run some errands. Have a great day.

No comments: